Monday, July 23, 2007

Siddhartha Rastogi's POV-- Neither For Nor Against

As I was expecting, being romantically committed at 17 must make and does make sense to people of 17 only. Anyways... before getting down to my arguments, a disclaimer: All the points that I make are from a boy's side, strictly for two reasons - first, I have never been a girl - at least so far; and second, I still don't understand an iota of what women want. Next - I am neither for nor against the motion. I'm on both the sides loosely,so my arguments can be categorized as loose motion.
well.... I tend to agree with Sid that its not about physical charm, or lust so to say, only. There is something very deep and intrinsic about sharing everything with a girl and especially, getting her approval pampers aspiring men more thoroughly than the same act by parents or by other male friends can do.
And Doksaab, may be, just - may be, during older times, there was a not-so-busy family and a number of siblings and cousins and neighborhood friends to take care of many a emotional needs, and not only that but also the interaction with non-relative females of the same age group was so much limited and usually not thought of that that such commitments were not even possible usually.
But today, when such familial bondings and support systems are almost non-existent and when there are ample chances of interaction with opposite sex, there is obviously an increased opportunity as well as need of a close companion of opposite sex.
But here only my agreement with the line of arguments of Basu breaks down. Sid, you are missing the entire topic by one word, i.e. - 'Romantic'. I agree that at such a crucial and confused stage of life, one needs a support and a close companion to share every thing of past, present, and future. And opposite sex is always preferable for intimacy - at least, I have been more comfortable with girls, strictly for two reasons - first, there is no fear of competition - even if they beat me hands down; and second, they don't swear, abuse, fight, stink, smoke and so on.
But why on earth that relationship, that companionship has to be Romantic? And on top of that, Romantic Commitment? At an age, when half the people don't understand the meaning of love and almost none understand the difference of love and infatuation, not that they understand later on, but nonetheless, why does one have to involve 'romantically'?? Personally, I have been friends with many girls, and I made closer friends with girls, usually for the aforementioned reasons only (I sincerely don't know yet why girls were keen on friendship with me) and my experience says there is nothing bad about friendship, and even close friendship, with girls. In fact, I have learnt a lot and still learn from my female friends.
And just to conclude - I absolutely agree with close friendship with opposite sex at any age but would suggest to wait till you understand the meaning and subtle nuances of romance, commitment, romantic commitments, and the responsibilities that come along.

No comments: